Friday, January 1, 2010

2010

its been a while since my last blog post, and i attribute this to exams and also laziness, not that anybody is reading. conversations like this in my head happen quite often. I fear medical studies has pushed me towards a psychiatric condition.

jokes aside.

so 2009 has finally come to an end. What a long it was and what a relief that a new year has dawn on us, with so many exciting things waiting to happen. so my 4th year of medical studies have just gone by like that, and I have passed my final exams. unfortuately I did not do as well as I had planned to at the start of 2009. Resisting distractions and practising delayed gratification has not been my strongest suit thus far in 2009.

Being a final year medical student this year, I have mixed feelings about what lies ahead. I am excited about finally being at the top of the Medical student hierachy; where the juniors look upon you with this ardent fervour as I once did to my seniors when I was in 1st and second year. not having any more crucial exams in 2010 has been something all of us have been looking forward to since the day we enrolled in Medicine. My elective to Ecuador in September remains the highlight of my calendar this year. On the flip side, there is the pressure that this will be the final year I get to consolidate all that I have learnt in the past 4 years, to be a competent intern come 2011. On top of this, the pressure to have the knowledge that the junior medical students seek when on the wards; to not be outdone by the very same junior medical students in front of tutors and physicians. Knowing how easy it is for me to get caught-up in busy-ness or lull, I have decided that I will use the time that 5th year promises to provide to study well and be well prepared for the MRCS exam, which I will try and attempt in 2011. hopefully I see this resolution through with a good attitude; afterall i have bought the textbook. Mastering spanish to a competent conversational level is also on the cards as I prepare for my trip to Ecuador.

So now I am actually back in Singapore for the summer holidays and it really feels good to be home. It has been long since I have been able to enjoy the company of family, best friends and above all the comfort of home. I have mostly been going out, clubbing, golfing and playing games on the PS3. In the past 3 weeks, I have met more people here in Singapore than in Australia whom I will actually continue to maintain friendships. This has been something that I have long been missing whilst studying overseas in Melbourne. Being in the company of friends whose company you truly appreciate and enjoy, then the skin-deep, superficial patronage paid to you as a foreigner in a foreign land. having mentioned this, come June/July 2010 I will have to make a very important decision as to where I would be working in 2011. I know for sure, that I will pursue my internship in Australia and let things happen from there on. It would be the smart choice. But there is so much to consider when making decisions like that, job scope, training exposure, opportunities, salary, lifetyle, friends and social life etc...

Much will be happening this year, and there will be much to think about. For this moment, I will just immerse myself in the holiday spirit, focus on what is in front of me and not worry about what is going to happen.

Happy New Year to all, and may 2010 be a better year than the last.

No comments: